Google PlusFacebook

Buddha Layer Cake

By on Oct 3, 2013 in Print Fail

Had an interesting experience with a model from Thingiverse.com last night. While looking though the Art section, and I found a lot of Buddha statues.

This one looking pretty good, and a happy Buddha is a good Buddha.

After importing the model into Sli3r, I got this warning that there was a hole near an edge. I see this warning from time to time downloading models from Thingiverse. And, most of the time its because the models seemed digitized/scanned.

Keep in mind that the G-code export will be even bigger than the STL... So, errors aren't fun when Printrun says it will take 16+ hours to print based on my Slic3r settings.

So, I thought I would try importing it into Cheetah3D (since it can import/export STL files) and see if optimizing the mesh would help simplify and possibly repair the downloaded model.

After optimizing, Cheetah3d was displaying a mesh that represented a Buddha statue. But, I think this is where things got messed up. After importing again into Sic3r, I still got the same error... But the print time was down to 4+ hours. So I went for it..

Tip: Clicking on the G-code outline in Printrun will open a small window that will allow you to shift up and down the layers of your G-code. You can break your mouse by clicking the Up/Down arrows.. But it's better to just hold the keys U & D (up and down), and it will rapidly go through the layers.  This is a really good way for you to find any errors in your G-code output.

After a quick inspection.. Things looked okay. But, what I didn't pay attention to was inspecting the G-code's overall "shape" of each layer... That, and dinner was about ready... So, hit print, ensured the first layer was good, and let it go.

After a couple hours, I came back to the "Smart Room" and didn't really recognize anything Buddha being printed on my print platform... So, I cut the print short to figure out where things went wrong.

I am pretty sure the optimization of the STL file (and export) from Cheetah3d is where things went wrong, and it still got an error on the import.

One thing I did get right was creating a honeycomb infill. This was achieved by setting Infill : Fill density to 0.1 (10%) in Slic3r. But now I think that might be too loose for layers that need a solid fill layer.

See what a proper Buddha looks like in the next post.

Share